[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Plugins config file (final proposal)

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Feb 16 10:14:06 CET 2007

Hi!

Matthias wrote:

> Btw: the filename /etc/plugins.ini is too general in my opinion.
> I'd prefer nagios-plugins.ini or nagiosplug.ini

Fair point. I like nagios-plugins.ini as this matches the tarball
distribution.

On 16 Feb 2007, at 07:07, sean finney wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 00:24 +0100, Matthias Eble wrote:
>>> What about using an environment variable if set. Otherwise look in a
>>> set of "common" locations. Given that we use the same prefix as
>>> nagios (/usr/local/nagios), maybe /usr/local/nagios/etc/plugins.ini
>>> is a decent default. I guess other common locations are:
>>>   /etc/plugins.ini
>>>   /etc/nagios/plugins.ini
>>>   /usr/local/etc/nagios/plugins.ini
>>>   /usr/local/etc/plugins.ini
>>
>> perhaps the FHS way should be considered, too:
>> /etc/opt/(nagiosplug|nagios-plugins)/plugins.ini
>
> i would say that both the plugins and Nagios::Plugin should have
> a single default location, which equates to the same config root
> where the rest of the files would go in a default "make install",
> with a sensible filename.
>
> as long as both of the above provide a way to override this setting
> (i.e. by setting passing some cmdline option when building/installing
> or having the location in an easily patchable location), i don't see
> there being any problem.  plus, one will always be able to override
> it at runtime too.

OK. So if $DEFAULT_INI_FILE=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios-plugins.ini
is somewhere in Nagios::Plugin.pm, then when the Debian maintainer
packages it, they can patch just this one line? Sounds fair.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725