[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Plugins config file (final proposal)

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Wed Jan 31 04:29:44 CET 2007

On 30/01/07 04:03 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> sean finney wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 01:06 -0500, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>>> I missed the discussion, but I noted some people are trying to set
>>> environment variables as well. Could this method allow setting
>>> environment variables as well?
>>>
>>> ex (proposal):
>>>
>>> [check_stuff]
>>> ENV {
>>>   STUFF_NAME=foo
>>>   STUFF_BLAH='foo bar'
>>> }
>>> range=12:20
>> i'd like to make the suggestion that if we do this, instead of using the
>> block-within-braces syntax (which doesn't aesthetically fit well with
>> the ini format
>

> But it does fit with the Nagios config syntax.

I really didn't want to start an implementation war there ;) but my
thoughts were that env must not be mistaken with parameters. If we go
with blocks we might want one for params as well, like:

[check_stuff]
ENV {
  STUFF_NAME=foo
}
PARAMS {
  range=12:20
}

Or just prefix everything:

[check_stuff]
ENV STUFF_NAME=foo
PARAM range=12:20

Either way allows extensibility as unknown blocks/parameters could be
ignored (possibly with warning).

The other suggestion could be XML, as it seems to be the trend these
days to have everything speak XML. Personally I'm fine with any format
with slight preference to non-xml ones.

Thomas