[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Plugins config file (final proposal)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 31 13:14:58 CET 2007

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> The other suggestion could be XML, as it seems to be the trend these
> days to have everything speak XML. Personally I'm fine with any format
> with slight preference to non-xml ones.

XML is a definite nono for anything that ever has the possibility of being
viewed by human eyes directly. XML is supposed to be human-readable, but
it really isn't. I for one don't know a single person that can, from scratch,
create a properly formatted XML-document. That precise possibility is very
important in a configuration file.

XML is very nice for passing information from one program to another, because
it's a strict standard with no room for parser-specific details; You either
follow the standard, and the standard only, or what you do isn't XML. It's
absolutely horrendous for humans though.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se