[Nagiosplug-devel] Problem

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest Thomas at zango.com
Tue Jul 10 19:31:26 CEST 2007

You have to use something like NRPE to run plugins on remote hosts.

Plugins are simply local programs run by Nagios (with specific return code
and output format though). When you want a plugin to run remotely you have
to run a local program (ex.: check_nrpe) that will forward the request to a
remote server (ex.: using the NRPE daemon on a remote server) to get the
check run.

You can also do the reverse and have remote programs send Passive results to
Nagios using NSCA. Read the Nagios documentation about Passive checks if
you're interested in that.

Thomas