[Nagiosplug-devel] working with inside and outside ranges

Matthias Eble matthias.eble at mailing.kaufland-informationssysteme.com
Mon Jul 23 16:27:21 CEST 2007

Christoph Kroeger schrieb:
> Hello,
>

> I’m currently working on a plug-in to check the cpu usage of an NETAPP
> FS270 and all appliances which are using the same SNMP MIB. I have read
> the developer guidelines on the pages of
> http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html and found a
> paragraph about ranges. I don’t understand the part where the usage of
> the @ is described. My understanding is the following:
>

>     * If I give my program the parameters –w 70 and –c 80, then I will
>       get a warning alert if the cpu usage is between 70 and 80 and a
>       critical alert if the usage is upper 80%.

In this case ranges 0:70 and 0:80 are assumed. State is OK if the value
is inside both ranges (0-69), warning if value is outside warn and
inside crit.

>     * Now my program gets a range for warning like 60:70 and range for
>       critical like 80:90. The zones for an OK state are now between 60
>       and 70 and 80 and 90. Is the area outside the ranges warning or
>       critical?

The area outside both ranges would be critical. But 65 would be critical
either. There will be no ok state with these ranges. OK Zone is 60-70 if
you define define -w 60:70 -c 60:80. 60-70 is inside both ranges here.

>     * If the range are lead by an @ the program has to post a warning
>       between 60 and 70 and an critical alert between 80 and 90.
That's correct. But you might want to take care for the upper limit.

> Fachinformatiker -Systemintegration-

What a cool ausbildungsberuf ^^

Matthias