[Nagiosplug-devel] printf calls in library functions

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Jul 23 16:56:11 CEST 2007

On 23 Jul 2007, at 14:18, Matthias Eble wrote:
>> But in our
>> case, I think we could always exit with UNKNOWN and the error
>> message. This would also have the advantage of having a consistent
>> error message and simpler programming at the plugin level.
> If I got it right, the definition of UNKNOWN in the guidelines
> won't let
> us do so in every case(strictly speaking).

Good point that the exit is not always UNKNOWN. I'm happy that the
exit code is appropriate for the failure.

> We could introduce a global variable containing the short upper case
> service name (eg DISK)to also print it in library functions.
> This might, but hopefully won't affect translation strings.

I agree about the short name. Some plugins change the short name
(such as check_tcp), but I think it is reasonable to assume that the
short name is set before calling various common functions. I'm not
too worried about the short name as this is not part of the interface
with Nagios.

> Let's move them after switching to svn.

Sigh. I think I'm still the bottleneck here. I'll spend sometime this
evening trying to work out how tinderbox talks to CVS and amend that
to SVN. Regardless of the outcome, I'll do a re-import of the latest
CVS data and then we can make the svn repo live for tomorrow.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725