[Nagiosplug-devel] Integrating Nagios::Plugin into the distribution

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue May 8 15:02:26 CEST 2007

On 5 May 2007, at 17:24, Matthias Eble wrote:
>> My proposal is this:
>>
>> ./configure has two new options: --enable-local-perl-modules,
>> --disable-local-perl-modules. The default is to search for N::P and
>> enable if not found or disable if found.
>>
>> --disable-local-perl-modules does nothing beyond current
>>
>> --enable-local-perl-modules will install N::P from a new top level
>> subdirectory I'm calling "nanocpan". In this directory is the tar
>> file
>> from CPAN for N::P plus all the dependent perl modules. At make
>> time, a
>> "perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=$prefix" (and some other options that I'm
>> not
>> too sure of right now) and "make" will be run to compile all the
>> required perl modules - this will be recursive, so other dependent
>> perl
>> modules will be included. At make install time, those perl modules
>> will
>> be installed into, say, $prefix/lib.
> I'd prefer to call the flag "bundled-perl-modules" for clarity
> reasons.

I agree that is clearer.

> I'm not so familar with perl modules, so excuse the (maybe) dumb
> questions :)
> Is it really needed to build the perl modules during installation?

Perl modules have a "perl Makefile.PL && make && make install" as
equivalent to "configure && make && make install". I'm not entirely
sure how we'd actually call it from the plugins yet.

> And is it possible, that a module doesn't interpret the PREFIX flag
> "polluting" /usr/lib/perl5?

It is possible, but unlikely, as the perl module author would get
flamed :)

> Are there any dependencies caused by N::P up to now?

It has some requirements to other perl modules (Params::Validate off
top of head), but those would be bundled too.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725