[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Vonnahme, Nathan nathan.vonnahme at bannerhealth.com
Tue Apr 1 20:57:02 CEST 2008

> I am sold on the readability of this :), very nice, huge improvement
> over current syntax, the 'ok' range will be a huge win, would the
> standard then also support the inclusive ... range operator as well as
> suggested earlier or is it getting too 'chicken scratch-like' having
> both .. and .... ?

I think one inclusive range operator (..), a negation operator (^), and
3 possible ranges (ok,warn,crit) can handle at least 99% of uses.  At
least in N::P, that's as complex as the data structures for the
thresholds.

> Also, are we going to standardize on multiple metrics being or'd as
> they currently are (which I think is the way intuitively think about
> threshold tests of metrics) or will there be value in also providing a
> switch to change from an 'or all'  to an 'and all' threshold check
> mode?
>
> check_tcp_states --finwait2 ok=0..50 --synreceived ok=0..100
--or-conditions

> check_tcp_states --established ok=30...500 --timewait ok=0..200 --and-
> conditions

I think it's intuitive when checking multiple values in one plugin that
the "worst" failure gets reported.  A mixed result of 9 OK, 1 warning
and 1 critical should return CRITICAL.  If someone wants other behavior
I think it should be split into multiple plugin invocations.