[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Tue Apr 1 21:16:57 CEST 2008

>  I think one inclusive range operator (..), a negation operator (^), and
>  3 possible ranges (ok,warn,crit) can handle at least 99% of uses.  At
>  least in N::P, that's as complex as the data structures for the
>  thresholds.

Ok, so that is a 'no' on you thinking we need inclusive and exclusive ranges.

>  > check_tcp_states --finwait2 ok=0..50 --synreceived ok=0..100
>  --or-conditions
>  >
>  > check_tcp_states --established ok=30...500 --timewait ok=0..200 --and-
>  > conditions
>
>  I think it's intuitive when checking multiple values in one plugin that
>  the "worst" failure gets reported.  A mixed result of 9 OK, 1 warning
>  and 1 critical should return CRITICAL.  If someone wants other behavior
>  I think it should be split into multiple plugin invocations.

I think I didn't explain myself clearly :).  Yes, the worst state
always bubbles up as the plugin status, that is intuitive, I agree.

My point was that with the "OR" case either finwait or synreceived (in
the example above) would trigger an alert if either went out of ok()
range whereas with an 'and' they would both have to be out of range to
trigger an alert.

- Max