[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios::Plugin perl module integrated into SVN

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Sat Jan 5 00:23:27 CET 2008

On 04/01/08 05:44 AM, Matthias Eble wrote:
> Ton Voon schrieb:
>> On 16 Sep 2007, at 06:53, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>>
>>> On a side note I just written a Perl plugin for checking M$ SQL
>>> databases (attached). It fully uses N::P, including thresholds and
>>> performance data (and it's awesome how easy it is now!). Strangely
>>> right
>>> after that I noticed there is a bash check_mssql in /contrib so I
>>> thought maybe we could include mine as a replacement. I believe it's
>>> also a good example of a N::P plugin.
>>
>> I'd definitely want an example plugin to include.
>>
>> I've had a quick look through yours (as much as I can without a mssql
>> server) and it looks good. I notice that the contrib version has
>> number of users in the output - could that be added (don't worry
>> about thresholds for that yet)? Then we can remove the contrib version.
>>
>>> If we don't include it I'll upload it to NagiosExchange.
>>
>> Also, if you want it distributed in the core distribution, could you
>> set the copyright as Nagios Plugins Development Team (you can list
>> yourself as the original author). If you want to retain personal
>> copyright, which is your entitlement, then it should be hosted on
>> NagiosExchange.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> have you thought about including this plugin?
> I guess it's this one:
> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Others.152.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1150
>
> right?

Yes. It turns out the connection string it too driver-specific to make
it a general purpose plugin. I'll drop the general usage and new drivers
will be added on demand, though it will be a child's play to add them.

I also think unresponsive dbs return UNKNOWN (or maybe I fixed it
already...). The behavior will be optional. I'm probably going to use it
in a production environment very soon, so ll get these issues fixed ASAP.

For the future, some thing that I might find interesting are:

1. Ability to serialize queries and their thresholds just like
check_disk do for partitions. The most complicated part will be parsing
the command-line options. I think maybe we should have special options
in N::P to leave some options to the programmer (N::P would just ignore
them and leave them in order in @ARGV, something like that. Since it
could break backward-compatibility (requirement to specify the
thresholds before the query) this should be though well first.

2. Ability to fetch specific rows and columns. I have some nice ideas
about this but it can wait...

While we're at it, there's another script I wrote that could probably
fit well in Nagios-Plugins. It's not using N::P yet but I'll be glad to
integrate it if it's accepted. It's an Rsync check I wrote some time
ago; I'm thinking of it because I just fixed a bug today and enchanced
it a bit (though it still need some polishing) :)

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Misc.54.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=587

Or we can go the hard way and write one from scratch in C that talks the
Rsync protocol (There would be some interesting advantages)!

Thomas