[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Tue Mar 18 05:36:04 CET 2008

Hi,

I think your idea to extend the syntax is a good one :), I personally
have found myself more and more using a syntax in this format

-w 'metric<op>number:metric2<op>number'

e.g.

-w '1min>15:5min>5' -c '15min>15:5min>10'

"Warn if 1 minute load is greater than 15 or 5 minute is greater than
5, critical if 15 minute is greater than 15 or 5 minute is greater
than 10'

this lets a user specify a fairly complex or'd syntax for complex
thresholds .. the separator could determine or vs. and.

I too find that just using simple single numbers does not do well for
'check all' types of plugins .. plugins that check multiple metrics at
once, it is a limitation that forces inefficiencies when adding
service checks for Nagios .. if an element type, for example, CPU
utilization, has 3 metrics associated with it (1 min, 5 min, 15 min),
I want to check those all at once with one plugin, not have Nagios
make 3 calls to the same plugin just to check all 3 ...

I really like that plugins have guidelines and that Nagios takes a
keep things simple approach but I also think we need as a community to
have guidelines that allow developers to create efficient checks, more
and more we see 'check all' types of checks that could really benefit
from specifying multiple metric thresholds per warning and critical
ranges ..

- Max