[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Patches-2810124 ] HTTP compliance in check_http

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 22 15:42:51 CEST 2009

Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by rakhun
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397599&aid=2810124&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
check_http v1.4.13.138.g9eab.dirty (nagios-plugins 1.4.13)
Example plugin commandline: plugins/check_http -I http1-0server.com
Tested on: Fedora 10, i686 with compiler gcc (GCC) 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat
4.3.2-7)
Originally the plugins sends the "Connection: close" in all cases, while only HTTP/1.1 supports it (HTTP/1.0 has this behaviour by default, not supporting keep-alive), the patch makes it use "Connection: close" only when using HTTP/1.1

Comment By: Henrik Nilsson (rakhun)
Date: 2009-06-22 15:41

Message:
We have received reports that a proxy bails out when receiving "Connection:
close" for HTTP/1.0, however after reading the RFC I agree it is the error
of the proxy.

Comment By: Holger Weiß (hweiss)
Date: 2009-06-22 13:45

Message:
We heard reports of server configurations which only close the connection
after sending the response if "Connection: close" was specified even in the
case of HTTP/1.0 requests. Therefore, we didn't limit the use of this
header line to HTTP/1.1 requests.

Have you seen any HTTP/1.0 server which complains about the header?  If
so, that would be a server bug, as the HTTP/1.0 standard clearly states
that "Unrecognized header fields should be ignored by the recipient" (RFC
1945, 7.1).

That said, I wonder whether anyone actually checks a server which cannot
handle HTTP/1.1 requests these days.  Maybe we should drop HTTP/1.0 support
entirely some day.