[Nagiosplug-devel] Antwort: Re: Contributing patches and retaining copyright

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed May 6 11:02:12 CEST 2009

> Any contributed code that gets back into the main code from now on is
> accepted on the basis that the copyright can be given to the Nagios
> Plugin team. I've updated the FAQ entry to be clearer on that policy:
> http://nagiosplugins.org/copyright
>
> We'd be happy to hear about any changes, but only if you are willing
> to relinquish copyright.

Hi Ton,

for most people - including me, it is unacceptable to fully
relinquish the copyright on something that's my (or my
companies) work. The reasoning that the plugins team needs
"the right" to make changes to the code even after the
original author has withdrawn from public does not really make
sense to me. After all the code is GPL and everyone can do
whatever he wants with it - as long as the copyright and
GPL notice are retained.

May I ask what the reasons behind this are?

I just don't get it.

Regards
        Sascha

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522