[Nagiosplug-devel] Contributing patches and retaining copyright

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Wed May 6 15:50:30 CEST 2009

* Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> [2009-05-06 14:17]:

> > > We're following advice given by FSF: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AssignCopyright
>
> Basically they are saying:
>
> 	If we are the copyright owners then we can legally bash anyone who
> 	infringes the copyright.
>
> I can see their point, it makes life simpler.
>
> However: if that situation were to arise with nagios plugins, then
> there is no reason why the different plugin owners could not give
> Ton Voon/whoever the legal right to protect (ie sue for infringing use
> of the code).

What if one or more of the contributors are not aware of the problem and
their e-mail address bounces by then (which I guess would be a very
likely scenario)?

Holger