[Nagiosplug-devel] Contributing patches and retaining copyright

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed May 6 16:21:35 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 03:50:30PM +0200, Holger Weiss wrote:
> * Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> [2009-05-06 14:17]:

> > Basically they are saying:
> >
> > 	If we are the copyright owners then we can legally bash anyone who
> > 	infringes the copyright.
> >
> > I can see their point, it makes life simpler.
> >
> > However: if that situation were to arise with nagios plugins, then
> > there is no reason why the different plugin owners could not give
> > Ton Voon/whoever the legal right to protect (ie sue for infringing use
> > of the code).
>
> What if one or more of the contributors are not aware of the problem and
> their e-mail address bounces by then (which I guess would be a very
> likely scenario)?

You could always ask for the authority/agreement at the time that the plugin
was accepted ... if a copyright assignment is not agreed.

Not much difference in the work that you would need to to in either case.

Basically: it is good for the Nagios plugins project to make it easy for people
to contribute, accepting something like this instead of copyright assignment
can help - especially those who work for large corporations.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/