[Nagiosplug-devel] Icinga and the plugins

Matthias Flacke matthias.flacke at gmx.de
Sat May 9 08:41:58 CEST 2009

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Ton Voon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> No doubt most of the people on this list have already heard about
>> Icinga on the nagios-devel list: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/6246
>>
>> I don't want to get into the rights or wrongs about it. I only care
>> about how to move this project forward.
>>
>> So my question is this: What needs to be done for the Nagios Plugins
>> project?
>>

> I think: Absolutely nothing. Icinga claims to be 100% compatible with
> Nagios (even down to ABI levels for event-broker modules). I can't
> imagine for one second that any nagios-fork will ever break the basic
> plugin API.

For sure.

The simplicity of the plugin interface (RC 0-3, some explaining output)
is one of the reasons for the success of Nagios. This format needs to be
supported forever even if there may be enhancements in the future.

Icinga will strictly keep the plugin interface format, so there is no
impact on the Plugins project.

-Matthias