[Nagiosplug-devel] Git commit e-mails

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 22 11:45:29 CEST 2009

Ton Voon wrote:
> On 22 May 2009, at 01:22, Holger Weiss wrote:
>
>> Both options have pros and cons, so let me know what you'd prefer.
>> Or,
>> as another alternative, should we simply continue to send a separate
>> e-mail for each commit?
>
> I would personally prefer one email per commit as it is easier to
> glance at what is happening and just read the subject to get an idea
> of the changes and the importance. The 5 minute delay is not a big deal.
>
> A quick look at the nagiosplug-checkins list (which has 181 members)
> shows out of 38 members, 4 wanted a digest. So 90% of the members to
> this list prefer individual emails. If git sends out individual
> emails, then the list digest would act as the summary view.
>
> However, I'd cede to the majority if a summarised view is preferred.

Personally I like to get things as one email, and getting the diff in
the email is *usually* not interesting (assuming proper commit messages
are always written).

A nice mail-format would be something like this:
git shortlog -ns old..new; git shortlog old..new; git log old..new

Which would look something like this:

######
14   Ton Voon
 4   Holger Weiss

Ton Voon
   patchsubject1
   patchsubject2
   patchsubject14

Holger Weiss
   patchsubject1
   patchsubject4

(git log output)
#######

I personally prefer that since it's quite common to do multiple commits to
implement a single feature, and this way one gets all the commits in one go.
Ofcourse, it would be easier if you could just use the post-receive hook,
since that would prevent mingling of several patch-series, but with a 5 min
interval I suppose that'll only happen very rarely anyway.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Register now for Nordic Meet on Nagios, June 3-4 in Stockholm
 http://nordicmeetonnagios.op5.org/

on peace.