[Nagiosplug-devel] Please can I have GIT access

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Fri Sep 4 17:03:02 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Alain Williams<addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> Not unless you are told something about it -- ie you can't (as you can in Perl)
> ask to see what the struct members are. All that you would prob have is it's
> address, not even its size. If you had a generic routine you would need to
> (for instance) give it an array to describe each member of the struct.
> The array itself would be an array of [a different] struct that contained, for
> each member: its offset, its type and perhaps a name. In fact it isn't hard to do.

If we want cross language serialization, we could use a portable
compact format like JSON for serialization .. if a standard matters
for this part of the state.

A next step with storing state would be to be able to have a plugin
request N calls be stored in order to be able to do rising and falling
alarms :).  That is a feature I see users of our Nagios instances
request as we have developed a more stable infrastructure.

Like the Nagios::Plugin::Differences module had code for that was
posted, rate alarms are useful  as well and the state mechanism could
also be used (maybe a v2 of the interface) as a LIFO fixed sized
buffer for doing this .. so a plugin author could request that the
last 4 samples are stored so that rate-based alarming can be done.