[Nagiosplug-devel] Please can I have GIT access

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 17:18:11 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 11:03:02AM -0400, Max wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Alain Williams<addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Not unless you are told something about it -- ie you can't (as you can in Perl)
> > ask to see what the struct members are. All that you would prob have is it's
> > address, not even its size. If you had a generic routine you would need to
> > (for instance) give it an array to describe each member of the struct.
> > The array itself would be an array of [a different] struct that contained, for
> > each member: its offset, its type and perhaps a name. In fact it isn't hard to do.
>
> If we want cross language serialization, we could use a portable
> compact format like JSON for serialization .. if a standard matters
> for this part of the state.

I don't think that you do need cross language serialisation. The state
data from plugin X is only going to be read by plugin X.
Every language will need serialisation, but you don't need to be able to
read something written in another language.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/