[Nagiosplug-devel] check_snmp HowTo

Eric Schoeller eric.schoeller at Colorado.EDU
Thu Dec 29 23:56:06 CET 2011

I certainly understand your situation. What you need to do is monitor
two separate SNMP objects (OIDs) in order to comprehend a % disk
utilization. This is not possible with the check_snmp plugin as it is
currently written. You may check multiple OIDs within the same check,
but you cannot perform any math or comparison between these values.
You'd need to develop your own check to do this.

Now, when you use a directive in SNMP such as includeAllDisks, you can
also specify a % which is what determines whether the disk is in a
warning state or not with respect to space utilization. It may be
possible to set your thresholds within SNMP and then monitor the OID
which shows the state of the device and whether this threshold has been
exceeded. I am not certain, but this could be reflected in hrDeviceStatus.

We use NRPE and the check_disk plugin for checking disk space.

Hope this helps

--
Eric Schoeller
University of Colorado Boulder