[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-3302033 ] check_smtp gives incomplete debugging output

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat May 14 15:50:25 CEST 2011

Bugs item #3302033, was opened at 2011-05-14 15:50
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by cyco_dd
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=3302033&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
The following Bugreport we got against our debian package:

$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_smtp --verbose -H ivanova.notwork.de
HELOCMD: HELO scyh00167
220 ivanova.notwork.de ESMTP Exim 4.72 Sun, 02 Jan 2011 23:37:22 +0100
sent QUIT
received 221 ivanova.notwork.de closing connection

SMTP OK - 0.074 sec. response time, 221 ivanova.notwork.de closing
connection
|time=0.074478s;;;0.000000

This debugging output either suggests that no HELO is sent at all, or
HELO is sent without waiting for the initial 220 prompt.

Using strace or wireshark reveals that the plugin is actually talking
proper SMTP on the wire while giving incomplete debug output while
printing extra information that is not part of the actual SMTP dialog.

Greetings
Marc

You can track the bugreport via http://bugs.debian.org/608714