[Nagiosplug-devel] Move repositories to Github?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Apr 10 14:49:24 CEST 2012

On 04/10/2012 02:42 PM, Holger Weiß wrote:
> I'd like to move our repositories over to Github, as I believe that
> would make things easier for both the community and those who review and
> apply contributions.  Some people have already expressed a desire to
> submit patches via pull requests on Github.

pull requests can be emailed from anywhere though, so it's not exactly
a strong argument.

> The only downside I see is that the list of team members would have to
> be maintained both at Github and at SourceForge.  That's not a big deal.

Why? Just move to github completely and you needn't bother with sf at all,
except maybe for new releases where you have to upload a tarball once in a
blue moon.

> Currently, our SourceForge repositories are mirrored at:
>
> 	https://github.com/nagios-plugins
>
> I guess we could just turn things around and let SourceForge mirror the
> Github repositories.
>
> I'd leave everything else at SourceForge, at least for the moment.
>
> What do you think?

If most contributors think it's easier, go with it. I see no reason
what so ever to make life harder than necessary for contributors, and
if a github "fork+request pull" workflow is what they want; Just go
with it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.