[Nagiosplug-devel] Move repositories to Github?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Apr 11 17:02:15 CEST 2012

On 04/10/2012 09:59 PM, Holger Weiß wrote:
> * Andreas Ericsson<ae at op5.se>  [2012-04-10 14:49]:
>> On 04/10/2012 02:42 PM, Holger Weiß wrote:
>>> I'd like to move our repositories over to Github, as I believe that
>>> would make things easier for both the community and those who review and
>>> apply contributions.  Some people have already expressed a desire to
>>> submit patches via pull requests on Github.
>>
>> pull requests can be emailed from anywhere though, so it's not exactly
>> a strong argument.
>
> Personally, I'd actually prefer receiving commits via email (as I'm not
> all that keen on clicking around in web interfaces), but from what I've
> seen elsewhere, Github just works better for most contributors.  Yes,
> git-send-email(1) works fine for some communities such as the Git
> project itself, but I fear it might not work as well for our community.

There's a "git-request-pull" script in git since before v1.0 that people
can use to send you info on where to pull their changes from no matter
where they keep their repos.

>>> The only downside I see is that the list of team members would have to
>>> be maintained both at Github and at SourceForge.  That's not a big deal.
>>
>> Why? Just move to github completely and you needn't bother with sf at all,
>> except maybe for new releases where you have to upload a tarball once in a
>> blue moon.
>
> I just don't want to invest the time to look into the conversion of
> tracker items and stuff like that right now.

Sensible.

>> If most contributors think it's easier, go with it. I see no reason
>> what so ever to make life harder than necessary for contributors, and
>> if a github "fork+request pull" workflow is what they want; Just go
>> with it.
>
> That's what I thought.
>
> Thanks for your feedback!

You're welcome, but see the thing about request-pull up above though.
There's no point making life harder for you either, so if you prefer
sf, just keep your stuff there and let others maintain their things
wherever they want.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.