[Nagiosplug-devel] Presentation and Question

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Mar 20 21:14:13 CET 2013

Leonardo Santagostini <lsantagostini at gmail.com> writes:

> I was noticed that a must make a new Nagios server, doing checks over more
> than 22000 web sites.
>
> I have all the information of this sites, in a mysql serving a bind+dlz
> solution.
>
> So, it is possible to use that database trough one plugin? Or you recommend
> to me that i must write a sheel script for this.

First you'll have to generate a Nagios configuration from your database,
since there's no way to get Nagios build its internal configuration data
from any other source (to my best knowledge).  Once you do that, it's no
problem to pass the needed parameters to you check command, so the
plugin needn't use the database thus you can use stock check_http.

>From a different angle, a setup of such size will probably require some
thought.  I'd advise against shell scripts, those will kill your
performance.  The embedded Perl interpreter is a better choice, but look
into the tuning chapter of the Nagios documentation for further tips.
--
Regards,
Feri.