GitHub notifications

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Sun Feb 2 21:37:25 CET 2014

On 02/02/14 08:20 AM, Holger Weiß wrote:
> * Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de> [2014-01-31 15:49]:
>> On 30.01.2014 22:58, Holger Weiß wrote:
>>> [ 1/2 ] Please continue to forward all notifications to this
>>> list. [ 1/2 ] Please filter out status changes, but forward
>>> actual comments. [ ] Please don't forward any GitHub
>>> notifications! [ ] I don't care.
>>
>> I'm a bit torn on the issue. In the best possible world, there
>> should be a "devel" list for everyone having an interest in where
>> development of the plugin goes (which would ask for publication of
>> at least *some* of the comments), while the actual guardians of the
>> official versions/commits would have a "maintainers" list for
>> themselves. But that latter isn't (yet?) in existence for the
>> monitoring-plugins project, is it?
>
> True, but it could be created if it made sense, of course.  However,
> if this was about the maintainers, they could subscribe to the
> GitHub notifications individually and be done with it.¹  The question
> is really just whether the discussions (and status changes) on GitHub
> are also interesting to others besides the actual maintainers.  If
> so, we'd like to involve those people; and for them, it might be a
> feature having just a single place for (un)subscribing, a single
> filter rule to maintain, and so on.  At least that's how I'd feel
> when subscribing to other project's development lists.

Hi Holger,

Initially I was on the side of having all or most github notifications
sent to the ML, but there's the issue of replies being sent without any
author information. I'l also getting the notifications twice, once on
the ML and once on my personal subscription. I don't really want to
filter out the ML emails as I want to see whatever is being sent there,
at the same time I'd like to reply to my own subscription emails so it's
clean who is commenting.

So although it's more work on the user's side, I'm wondering if we could
drop these notifications and instead subscribe on our own to what we'd
like. What I'm still wondering though is:

1. Can we create a "watcher" team on GH that sets the notifications by
default, where users can join and leave on their own (will default
notification settings be part of the team? if not then that is pointless...)

2. Let's say I want to bring up a bug to the attention of the devel
list, what are the impact of cc'ing the list? will replies show up on
the ticket and how?

Regards,

--
Thomas