Extra-Opts configuration file location(s)

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 18 19:20:55 CEST 2014

* William Leibzon <william at leibzon.org> [2014-06-18 06:56]:
> Different distributions have different criteria for set of paths and
> extensions for config files.
>
> But I'd go with:
>   /etc/monitoring-plugins/monitoring-plugins.ini
>   /usr/local/etc/monitoring-plugins/monitoring-plugins.ini
>
> Because distributions typically don't mind packages having their own
> subdirectory in /etc. And some prefer that and create one even if
> original package would just put config file in /etc.

Yes, I've added those two paths to the list.  So we now have:

- /usr/local/etc/monitoring-plugins/monitoring-plugins.ini
- /usr/local/etc/monitoring-plugins.ini
- /etc/monitoring-plugins/monitoring-plugins.ini
- /etc/monitoring-plugins.ini

(Plus the old locations supported for compatibility.)

> And the most popular extension in unix world for config files is .conf
> after that its .cfg and .ini is least popular. You can check your own
> distributions to see if its something like that. But since we already
> went with .ini that is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Fine with me, too.

Thanks, Holger