Propose of new version scheme

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:03:02 CET 2014

On 20.03.2014 12:38, Jan Wagner wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> you may have noticed, nagios-plugins released a new version, which has
> a tag of a new major release (2.0). This looks like they are trying to
> start a version number competition.
>
> I`m proposing a new version scheme which could look like:
>
> <year>.<month>[.bugfixrelease]
>
> If you think this looks very familiar ... yes it`s used by ubuntu and
> may others.
>
> What maybe the benefits of a complete different release scheme:
>
> * there will probably no version number races between existing forks
>    (which is totally nonsense)
> * we can better identify, if a plugin is from our fork or no
>   - this might help when we get bugreports/complaints, especially when
>     forks are more diversing on code base

Please please please don't change the version schema!

Users won't recognize the new schema, and you will have to explain it
every time they install it (not everyone uses packages these days). And
if it's not you, everyone doing community support with
nagios/icinga/shinken/naemon will have to.

Furthermore all existing
scripts/documentation/howtos/{puppet,chef,ansible,...}modules will
require additional changes.

Make it 1.6.x and focus on a quality release.

Bumping something to 2.0 just because it was forked and being an
attention whore (pardon) is imho the wrong way.

kind regards,
Michael

PS: Ubuntu is imho a bad example.

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

michael.friedrich at gmail.com  || icinga open source monitoring
https://twitter.com/dnsmichi || lead core developer
dnsmichi at jabber.ccc.de       || https://www.icinga.org/team
irc.freenode.net/icinga      || dnsmichi