[Nagiosplug-help] make, gmake not working on OpenBSD 3.1

John Sellens jsellens at generalconcepts.com
Sun Aug 18 12:06:03 CEST 2002

| From: John Todd <jtodd at loligo.com>
| Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:38:57 -0400
|
|    I've read the threads about using "gmake" instead of "make" on the
| plugins, but neither seems to work in my case.  I am using an OpenBSD
| 3.1 system with gmake from the ports installation.  After
| "./configure --with-prefix=/home/nagios" this is what I get:
|
| whipped# /usr/local/bin/gmake
| cd . &&
| /bin/sh: syntax error: unexpected EOF
| gmake: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1

I suspect you might find this helpful - cheers!

    From jsellens Tue Aug 13 22:04:49 2002
    To: colin.harford at mail.su.ualberta.ca, nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
    Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Unable to install nagiosplugins...

    | From: Colin Harford <colin.harford at mail.su.ualberta.ca>
    | Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:54:11 -0400

    | (ardennes!/opt/nagios/nagiosplug-1.3-beta1) [root-ttyp1]
    | # gmake
    | cd . &&
    | /bin/sh: syntax error: unexpected EOF
    | gmake: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1

    I think there's a problem in the dates on some of the automake-ish
    files in the 1.3-beta1 distribution (which I reported to the
    nagiosplug-devel list earlier today).

    The "cd . &&" command is trying to run automake or aclocal, which
    you likely don't have on your system.

    Try this, which worked for me on a couple of machines:

	gunzip < nagiosplug-1.3-beta1.tar.gz | tar xf -
	cd nagiosplug-1.3-beta1
	touch aclocal.m4; sleep 1
	touch Makefile.in; sleep 1
	touch configure; sleep 1
	./configure
	gmake

    Doing the "touch" commands avoids having make want to run automake
    and friends.

    Cheers!

    John
    jsellens at generalconcepts.com