[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe

Jackson Sie jsie at quadrix.com
Tue Jul 9 20:00:02 CEST 2002

David,

Perhaps I need to clarify my original statement, let me know if I'm pursuing
the wrong line of thinking...

As I understand it, when nrpe on the remote machine is called to run a
plug-in, it ultimately calls popen() to fork the actual shell that contains
the "real" call chkoracle.pl on the remote machine.  Reading the man page
for popen() on my Solaris 8 box, I see the following statement:

<SNIP>
     The environment of the executed command  will  be  as  if  a
     child  process  were  created  within the popen() call using
     fork(2). If  the  application  is  standard-conforming  (see
     standards(5)), the child is invoked with the call:

          execl("/usr/bin/ksh", "ksh", "-c", command, (char *)0);

     otherwise, the child is invoked with the call:

          execl("/usr/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", command, (char *)0);
</SNIP>

Continuing the man page reading, for fork(2) I see:

<SNIP>
     The fork() and fork1() functions create a new  process.  The
     new  process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling
     process (parent process). The  child  process  inherits  the
     following attributes from the parent process:

        o  real user ID, real group ID, effective user ID, effec-
           tive group ID

        o  environment
</SNIP>

So net net, this would mean that the chkoracle.pl script runs with the
environment of the nrpe daemon, not your login shell.  Any chance there's a
discrepancy there?

Regards,
Jackson

P.S. Any particular reason you are using Expect within Perl to invoke
SQLPlus on a remote machine via NRPE?  Perhaps I that would help me
understand what's going on.