[Nagiosplug-help] Are there plugins for...

Tom DE BLENDE tdeblend at gcc.dhl.com
Tue Nov 5 00:27:02 CET 2002

Jake Colman wrote:

> Is the Samba server up and running and processing logons?  Are both
> components (smbd, nmbd) running correctly?

For Samba shares: in the plugin archive plugins-scripts/check_disk_smb
For the actual processes: check_procs if these processes run locally,
netsaint_statd or nrpe or check_by_ssh if they run on a remote host
For the domain emulation of Samba: check_wins (see attached)

> Should I just use check_tcp?  But against which port(s)?

That would be the Samba ports (135 139): Google is your friend
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Samba+TCP+ports)

> Is there something more specific I can do?

If you want to check the actual logon process, then you'd have to
script someting that uses smbclient to try a logon with a domain
account, and parse the output you get back from it. But I think that
with check_wins alone, you're pretty safe.

> I've had situations where one or both of the daemons have died and it would
> be great if I could be notified when it happens.

check_procs