[Nagiosplug-help] check_smtp reports false critical

Mitchell K. Smith mksmith at pa.eplus.com
Fri Nov 8 06:59:06 CET 2002

Nagios reports
SMTP CRITICAL 11-08-2002 09:23:38 0d 2h 32m 53s 3/3 SMTP OK - 0 second response time

If I run the check from the command line I get
./check_smtp -H 172.31.1.26 -v
SMTP OK - 0 sec. response time, 220 exchpa2.pa.eplus.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0.2195.5329 ready at  Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:25:19 -0500
Socket timeout after 10 seconds

I searched the archives but couldn't come up with anything.
I get this response regardless of the host that I am checking.
What am I doing wrong?

Plugin version:
check_smtp (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-alpha1) 1.2

Nagios Version 1.0b6

My checkcommands.cfg looks like this:
# 'check_smtp' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_smtp
        command_line    $USER1$/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
        }

My services.cfg looks like:
# Service definition savsmtp - smtp
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of service

        host_name                       savsmtp
        service_description             SMTP
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  linux-admins
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             workhours
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_smtp!25!40
        }

Mitchell K. Smith
Information Systems Manager
ePlus Technology of PA, an ePlus Company
130 Futura Dr
Pottstown, PA  19464
610.495.7800
610.495.2800 fax