[Nagiosplug-help] Problem querying the number of open files on a Netware server...

Nicolas Riendeau knightr at istop.com
Sun Nov 17 09:39:04 CET 2002

Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 18:29, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I cannot seem (with Nagios 1.0b6 and the most recent plugins) to be able to query the
>>number of open files on a Netware server (4.x with the MRTGext.NLM installed). Each
>>time Nagios tries to get the number of open files, I get a "Could not parse arguments".
>

> The 'most recent plugins' is not informative. You could mean the most
> recent released plugins, which was actually the netsaint plugins, or the
> beta posted on sourceforge, or the current CVS, or its snapshot at
> www.debisschop.net/src/nagios. Or probably other things not right at the
> top of my head.

Sorry, I didn't have access to that pc at the time (so I couldn't query the versions)
and hoped it was something really simple (like some sort of quoting/escaping needed
for that particular argument)...

 > We take great pains to make it easy to report version. Just run the
 > plugin with the --version flag - easy, and unambiguous.

Once again, sorry...

> $ ./plugins/check_nwstat --version
> check_nwstat (nagios-plugins 200211162300-snapshot) 1.3

# ./check_nwstat -V
check_nwstat (nagios-plugins 200211131100-snapshot) 1.1.1.1
The nagios plugins come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may redistribute
copies of the plugins under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

The version in CVS is newer (but unfortunatly I'm not yet quite familiar with CVS... )-; ).

The differences seems to be in the way the result are outputted/formatted while my problem
seems to be in the way nagios calls the plugin (which as you suggest below seems to
suggest that there's a problem in checkcommands.cfg or services.cfg but I can't seem
to find it...) since when I call the plugin manually, it works A-OK...

ie

# ./check_nwstat -H fax_server -v OFILES
14 open files

>>Anything else (CPU load, etc...) and even running the plugin manually (ie
>>from the command shell) works A-OK...
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> Sounds like services.cfg or checkcomands.cfg has a typo somewhere, or
> some parameter specification has changed in your configs without you
> being aware of it.

 From checkcommands.cfg:

# 'check_nw_open files' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_nw_open_files
         command_line    $USER1$/check_nwstat -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v OFILES
         }

 From services.cfg:

# Service definition
define service{
         use                             generic-service         ; Name of service template to use

         host_name                       Test_server
         service_description             Number of open files
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           5
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  novell-admins
         notification_interval           120
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            c,r
         check_command                   check_nw_open_files
         }

All of the commands I added in checkcommands.cfg and all the services I added in services.cfg for that server
are essentially cut & paste of the others with the necessary adjustments....

That server was recently added to the list of server Nagios monitors and every other checks work A-Ok...

Any other suggestions?

THanks!

Nicolas Riendeau