[Nagiosplug-help] Check_NT checking SQL Service counters

Robertson, Brown brown.robertson at maac.net
Fri Nov 22 11:47:03 CET 2002

Has anyone successfully used check_nt for checking SQL service counters where you have to specify an (_instance)? Here's what I have in my checkcommands.cfg:

# 'check_nt_sql_distributionagent' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_nt_sql_distributionagent
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 1248 -v COUNTER -l “\\SQLServer:Replication Agents(Distribution)\\Running”,”Running: %.f” -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
        }

Now, I properly am using this in my services.cfg and passing the correct arguments. It works from a shell prompt, and returns a value of 2 which is correct. However, from the nagios service details screen. It flags the status information as "no output!" and consequently escalates this quickly to critical. I have no idea what the problem is. It works fine from shell, but not from my .cfg? I've tried multiple minute changes in the .cfg all to the same avail. Any input would be appreciated. I'm including the directly related entry in my services.cfg:

define service{
	use				generic-service		; Name of service template to use

	host_name			Cognosreports
	service_description		SQL DISTRIBUTION AGENT
	is_volatile			0
	check_period			24x7
	max_check_attempts		3
	normal_check_interval		3
	retry_check_interval		1
	contact_groups			nt-admins
	notification_interval		120
	notification_period		24x7
	notification_options		w,u,c,r
	check_command			check_nt_sql_distributionagent!80!90
	}

I do not have this problem with any other COUNTER check that I perform as long as it doesn't require an (_instance) i.e.(\\Server Object(_instance)\\Counter)
I'm at my wit's end:/ Thanks in advance..

I've tried the 1.07.0 and 1.06.2, possibly a problem with Nagios?