[Nagiosplug-help] check_nt runs but just reports '(null)'

Bosse Klykken bosse at klykken.com
Fri Nov 29 01:59:04 CET 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 02:50, Kevin O'Donnell wrote:
> Every time I run check_nt, it just returns "(null)" and exists with
> code 212.  I am using the precompiled version of check_nt from
> Distrib-1.06.2.zip on a Debian 3.0 box.  I've confirmed that the
> NSClient service is running on the destination windows server.

I have seen this behaviour on several Windows 2000 Servers witch, amongst
other things, are Active Directory controllers.

The default port number for NSClient is 1248, but it seems like
AD-services like LDAP take control of this port, blocking the probes from
the check_nt process. Verify this by running 'netstat -a' in the command
prompt and see if port 1248 have had a takeover by another service, or if
ports in close range is occupied. If so, it might be better to move to
another port.

You can solve this by changing the NSClient port number in the registry.
Search for NSClient in regedit, find the Port key and change this to i.e.
51248 or some other high port. Remember to use the '-p 51248' parameter in
check_nt. (I gave it another $ARGx$ in the checkcommands.cfg file, in
order to be flexible enough to issue varying port numbers on different
servers, just in case.)

.../Bosse