[Nagiosplug-help] SQL

Tom DE BLENDE tdeblend at gcc.dhl.com
Tue Sep 17 01:08:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

Up until SQL Server 7, Microsoft officially supported Sybase client
software. So you could download the Sybase client, and connect to MS
SQL. With TDS version 8.0 (and legacy support for version 7.0) in SQL
2000, compatibility with Sybase client was broken. However, you can
use the Freetds libraries instead.

So here's what I've done to have a way to connect to both SQL 7 and
SQL 2000:

1) Download and install freetds from http://www.freetds.org.
2) Download and install sqsh from http://www.sqsh.org.
3) export SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds (or where ever your freetds is
installed)

Change the configuration file of freetds. Now you can use sqsh to
connect to your MS SQL:

sqsh -S servername -U username

I've written some Bash scripts that check for deadlocks, dbcc's
running during office hours, backups running during office hours,
checking whether an online replication is up and running... If someone
is interested I can post one or two scripts so you can have a look at
how I did it.

If someone wants to write a Perl plugin, you can find more info on
http://www.whirlycott.com/phil/dbdsybase/ on how to use a Perl module
for this (DBD::Sybase). This paper is written for SQL 7 and the Sybase
libraries. But with the info I gave above, it should be possible to
use SQL 2000 with the freetds libraries as well.

Oh by the way: a "check_tcp host -p 1433" should work as well!

Kind regards,
Tom