[Nagiosplug-help] check_disk %free AND kb free

Earl C. Ruby III earl at switchmanagement.com
Fri Apr 18 13:27:02 CEST 2003

I am monitoring about 47 hosts, eight of which are Oracle database servers. On
these hosts there are typically /boot partitions that are 30MB in size with
10MB or so free (33% free) as well as 30GB data partitions with 2GB free (6%
free space).

Neither of these cases consititutes an alarm. 33% free in a small /boot
partition is perfectly acceptable. Likewise, even though I only have 6% free
on an Oracle data partition, that represents 2GB of free space, which is
perfectly acceptable.

I am trying to avoid having to write check_disk commands for each partition on
each server. However, the check_disk command I downloaded from SourceForge
only lets you specify KB or %free, not both. What I'd really like is a
check_disk that can be called like so:

check_disk -w 10%,1500KB -c 5%,1000KB

This would generate a CRITICAL alarm if any partition had less than 5% free
disk space AND less than 1GB free, or a WARNING alarm if any partition had
less than 10% free disk space AND less than 1.5GB free. For small partitions,
the percentages are what count, for large partitions the KB size is what
matters.

I figure before I go write this myself, I'd ask and see if anyone here already
knows of a version of the check_disk script that does this? I searched
through the list archives but didn't find anything.

--
Earl C. Ruby III <earl at switchmanagement.com>
Senior System Engineer / Developer