[Nagiosplug-help] check_rpc always succeeds if servicename exists?

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Feb 10 21:52:04 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 23:46, Brak wrote:
> So I have this host, lets call it foo.  ./check_rpc -H foo -C portmapper
> will succeed even if the machine, foo, is turned off, and all other checks
> fail. ?!

I don't see what leads you to believe that.

$ ./check_rpc -V
check_rpc (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta2) 1.7
$ ./check_rpc -H firewalled.host.example -C portmapper
ERROR: No response from RPC server (alarm)
$ ./check_rpc -H local.nonrpc.host -C portmapper
CRITICAL: RPC program portmapper  udp is not running
$ ./check_rpc -H powered.off.host -C portmapper
CRITICAL: RPC program portmapper  udp is not running

(all the above are Red Hat Linux 7.2 or 7.3, tested from Red Hat 8.0.92)

--
Karl