[Nagiosplug-help] Compiling plugins under AIX 4.3.3

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Feb 19 04:50:03 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 05:13, Nick.Tschannen at isceco.admin.ch wrote:
> Hello
>
> Did anybody tried to compile the actual nagios-plugins-200302182300-snapshot
> under AIX 4.3.3?
> I did it, but got always the following problem:
>
> root at local /nagios-plugins-200302182300-snapshot> aclocal
> root at local /nagios-plugins-200302182300-snapshot> autoconf
> root at local /nagios-plugins-200302182300-snapshot> autoheader
> WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
> WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
> WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
>
> WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
> WARNING: `acconfig.h':
>
> WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
> WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
>
> WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
> WARNING: documentation.
> root at local /nagios-plugins-200302182300-snapshot> automake
> lib/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
> root at local /nagios-plugins-200302182300-snapshot>
>
> Does anybody has a idea. Thanks a lot for your help.

If you are working from the snapshot tarball, skip step 0 of INSTALL and
just run configure. There should be no such warnings.

You should only need to run aclocal, autoconf, and autoheader if you are
working from the CVS tree.

In which case you will need to live with those warnings until such time
as we see fit to make the changes needed to make them go away. Given 1)
they are only warnings 2) RedHat 7.3 is still very widely deployed and
uses the older autoconf, I don't plan on making the change very soon.

My guess at to when I'll make the change is sometime after Red Hat 8.1
is deployed fairly widely (Sorry to be so vendor/OS specific in the US
today, that's a good proxy for the deployment of POSIX/GNU systems on
the home desktops where many of us work on the project.) FWIW, about
half my machine have the newer atutoconf installed. You can still work
with the CVS tree, but the changes are not back compatible

--
Karl