[Nagiosplug-help] Check_snmp and Could not open pipe: error VERSION 2

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Jun 11 07:12:18 CEST 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Pietro Bandera wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to check the disk of some ibm server by this oid
>
> enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.ibmServeRaid.ibmServeRaidMIB.ibmServeRaidMibObje
> cts.ibmServeRaidInfo.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceTable.ib
> mServeRaidPhysDeviceEntry.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceStatus

This is the column oid in a table.

> Unfortunatly the output of that snmp call i this:
>
> enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.ibmServeRaid.ibmServeRaidMIB.ibmServeRaidMibObje
> cts.ibmServeRaidInfo.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceTable.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceE
> ntry.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceStatus."110" = empty(7)

This is the instance of a row in the above column.

> I said unfortunatly because, as you can see, the identifier fo the disk
> i betweeen "comma"!!!(arggg damn ibm)

There a re quite a few mibs that use an octect string as table index

> That seems not to be a problem for snmpget command in fact if i do this:
>
> []# snmpget 192.168.0.37 public
> enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.ibmServeRaid.ibmServeRaidMIB.ibmServeRaidMibObje
> cts.ibmServeRaidInfo.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceTable.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceE
> ntry.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceStatus.\"113\"
> enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.ibmServeRaid.ibmServeRaidMIB.ibmServeRaidMibObje
> cts.ibmServeRaidInfo.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceTable.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceE
> ntry.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceStatus."113" = online(2)
>
> I got a right answer
>
> while if i use the check_snmp command with the same sintax i got this:
>

> []# /usr/local/netsaint/libexec/check_snmp 192.168.0.37 -C public -o
> enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.ibmServeRaid.ibmServeRaidMIB.ibmServeRaidMibObje
> cts.ibmServeRaidInfo.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceTable.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceE
> ntry.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceStatus.\"113\" -l Disco -s "online(2)" Could
> not open pipe: /usr/bin/snmpget -m ALL -v 1 192.168.0.37 public
> enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.ibmServeRaid.ibmServeRaidMIB.ibmServeRaidMibObje
> cts.ibmServeRaidInfo.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceTable.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceE
> ntry.ibmServeRaidPhysDeviceStatus."113"
>

> Why?
>
> Well i found out what seems to be...
>
> >From netsaint/nagios FAQ
>
> "If you have defined a process check command that uses the
> check_netsaint
> plugin, make sure that the plugin is functioning as it should. Execute
> the check_netsaint plugin from the command line and check the results.
> If the plugin is reporting that the NetSaint process cannot be found or
> if it returns a "Could not open pipe" message, you may need to edit the
> PS_RAW_COMMAND definition in the common/config.h file of the plugin
> distribution to match the syntax for the *ps* command on your system.
> For example, under FreeBSD you should use either /"/bin/ps -ao 'state
> user ppid args'"/ or /"/bin/ps -axo 'state user ppid command'"/ (it
> seems to vary). Once you've changed the PS_RAW_COMMAND definition,
> recompile the plugins and test the newly compiled check_netsaint plugin
> to see if it works."

This issue is not related to the problem you are having. It was about the
check_netsaint/check_nagios plugins.

run the check_snmp command in verbose mode
run the check_snmp command under strace

post the output of the two..
--

-sg