[Nagiosplug-help] Questions using negate?

Rose David DRose at snyderdrug.com
Tue Mar 4 16:10:13 CET 2003

I have a device on my network that I normally should not be able to reach so
would like to use the check_ping to see if I can reach it.  What it should
actually do though is report as OK if unreachable and as DOWN if reachable,
and negate sounds like it should fit the bill, but doesn't seem to be
working.  I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it only works
with certain plugins, but here is the command I am running:

When I use the following line, I get a "negate: Unknown argument - w".

command_line $USER1$/negate $USER1$/check_ping -H $ARG1$ -w 1000.0,100% -c \
1000.0,100% -p 5

So, I try putting the command it is running in quotes (see below) and I get
a "/usr/rest/of/path/negate problem - No data recieved from host" error
message.

command_line $USER1$/negate "$USER1$/check_ping -H $ARG1$ -w 1000.0,100% \
-c 1000.0,100% -p 5"

I did update the plugins to the most recent version available, so a negate
-V returns "negate (nagios-plugins 1.3.0) 1.5".  Could anyone let me know
what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
David