[Nagiosplug-help] problem using nrpe

Cyrille Mertes cyrille at iwebgroup.com
Wed Mar 19 15:07:03 CET 2003

Hi,

I try to use nrpe to run check_proc remotely.

Here are what I did exactly :

On the nagios host :

1) Installed nrpe source (./configure, make all)

2) cp check_nrpe in my libexec directory

3) defined in  checkcommands.cfg :

define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line     /virtual/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
        }

4) defined in services.cfg

define service{
        host_name                       guo
        service_description             Sympa
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_sympa
        }

On the remote host :

1) Installed nrpe source (./configure, make all)

2) cp check_nrpe and check_proc in /usr/sbin

3) Created nrpe.cfg in /etc with :

server_port=5666
allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1
nrpe_user=nagios
nrpe_group=nagios
debug=1
command_timeout=60
command[check_sympa]=/usr/sbin/check_procs -w 1 -c 1 -C sympa.pl

4) created /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe with :

# default: on
        service nrpe
        {
                flags           = REUSE
                socket_type     = stream
                wait            = no
                user            = nagios
                server          = /usr/sbin/check_nrpe
                server_args     = -c /etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
                log_on_failure  += USERID
                disable         = no
                only_from       = 207.139.174.2
        }

5) restart xinetd

If I tried this command on the nagios host :

/virtual/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe  -H guo.xxx.com -p 5666 -c check_sympa

CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from host.

No firewall on the remote host.

In the nagios web intrface, same error : CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving
data from host.

Someone know what's wrong ?

Thanks,

Cyrille.