[Nagiosplug-help] check_ping timeout or retry time

John Mahoney nagios-plugin at h0001022b2681.ne.client2.attbi.com
Mon Oct 27 08:01:12 CET 2003

Hi,

This seems like it should be simple - but I have not
found the solution...

I am using check_ping to in a stock check-host-alive
"checkcommand".

But I want to change it so that
 a) if a server fails the initial ping, the test sleeps
    for 5 min or so then pings again.

    I would declare the server DOWN only if the 2nd ping
    fails.
 or
 b) have a long timeout period for check_ping.

    I would declare the server DOWN only only if I had
    90%+ packet loss after this (5 min) timeout period.

So far I have tried things like:

check_ping -t 300 -H <IP address> -w 100,20% -c 500,100%
and I have gotten a FAILED response within 14 sec.

check_ping -p 100 -H <IP address> -w 100,20% -c 500,100%
but this seems to
   - be a bit uncertain
   - needlessly consume a lot resources
   - cause nagios some trouble in maintaining it's
     scheduled checks on all other devices

I'm sure I could script my way around this, but I suspect
nagios can do this better than I would script it.

In case it makes a difference, we are running nagios on a
Sun Ultra-2 (sparc sun4u) running Solaris 8.

Thx
--
John