[Nagiosplug-help] Trouble installing plugins - not templatedperhaps?

Peter Kiem zordah at zordah.net
Tue Sep 2 19:04:06 CEST 2003

Hi,

> What was wrong with the initial Nagios file ? I've set up 3 nagios servers
> using these packages without any need to convert anything. Did you need
> something from the nagios-plugins commands.cfg ?

Packages I have installed:
nagios-1.1-3.dag.rh73
nagios-plugins-1.3.1-2.dag.rh73

OK the problems are as I see it:
1. After installing the plugins package you still need to change the
nagios.cfg file to tell it where the plugins are.  It would be far better
if after installing the plugins package it copied the command.cfg into
/etc/nagios and changed your nagios.cfg file to load that file.

2. The /usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins-1.3.1/command.cfg file from the
plugins package is the old non-template format and nagios from the package
above complained about syntax errors in the command.cfg file and refused
to run.

3. I had to run convertcfg on the
/usr/share/doc/nagios-plugins-1.3.1/command.cfg file to convert it to the
template format and then remove the duplicate entries between command.cfg
and misccommands.cfg for the notify methods.

> Apart from the fact that I think the default Nagios files are badly
> structured (and the config-files are far from obvious), they do work with
> only a minimum of customization.

I had to do a LOT of customisation to get this to run under Red Hat 7.3
Although I understand Nagios is not for the novice users, these problems
with the plugins proved quite challenging to get it running!

--
Regards,
       My current spamtrap address is est0903 at zordah.net