[Nagiosplug-help] Trouble installing plugins - not templatedperhaps?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Sep 3 17:43:15 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 22:03, Peter Kiem wrote:
> >
> > > What was wrong with the initial Nagios file ? I've set up 3 nagios servers
> > > using these packages without any need to convert anything. Did you need
> > > something from the nagios-plugins commands.cfg ?
> >
> > Packages I have installed:
> > nagios-1.1-3.dag.rh73
> > nagios-plugins-1.3.1-2.dag.rh73
>
> In the past, I've built binary RPMs for RH73 (both nagios and the
> plgins), but I don't have a 7.3 box that I can build on anymore. Several
> of these are not issues in those RPMs, which are just straight builds
> from the specs in CVS. Maybe it would help if we made a better effort to
> get volunteers who could build for rh73 and rh80.

You can look at the changes I've made at:

	http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios-plugins/nagios-plugins.spec

It's not at all closed to the public :)

Let me summarize the changes I've made:

 + I added some directives that my buildsystem uses as it seems that
   %configure has a problem with Soapbox and I can't build nagios-plugins
   parallellized.

 + I added a lot of BuildRequires (RH specific) to help people building
   for RH.

 + I had to disable INSTALL_OPTS for building as a user.

 + I change the location for the perl-binary and for the location of the
   plugins.

 + I also added something to compile 2 extra plugins that came in source.

 + During the %install phase I add the utils.pm module to the perl module
   path. (The alternative was to add -I flag to every perl-script that
   needs it.)

Not that many, but most are crucial for a working package.

> Dag, no offense, but why build your own spec? I have not yet compared
> your spec with CVS in sufficient detail, but I assume you've put some
> thought into it. Have we spoken? Have you brought the things you see as
> shortcomings to the attention of the developers so your improvements can
> be incorporated into the main code base?

I have not. Not for the nagios-plugins anyway. I've mentioned the SPEC
file on the (nagios) mailinglist though, when I announced the packages.

> Since you clearly have access to a RedHat 7.3 machine, couldn't you
> engage with the devlopers to improve the spec in CVS and still also
> provide the service of testing releases on the the various releases and
> maikng those builds available?

Actually I just have a 10GB partition that has 4 chroot-installed Red Hat
distributions. (RH62, RH73, RH80 and RH9) If you send me the tarball a
couple of days before releaseing, I can test-build and give you feedback
so that we can fix those things in the resulting release.

> > I had to do a LOT of customisation to get this to run under Red Hat 7.3
> > Although I understand Nagios is not for the novice users, these problems
> > with the plugins proved quite challenging to get it running!
>
> I submit that nagios and the plugins will be more advanced by working
> from the RPMs that are maintained by Ethan and by the nagios plugins
> development group.

Well, Ethan doesn't build any RPM packages and I think the reported
problems are not different for the official packages or my packages.

Nevertheless any feedback to improve the configuration or my packages
specifically is very welcome. I've learned that maybe I should put an
updated commands.cfg (from the nagios-plugins package) into /etc/nagios/
(given that they work and consist of more plugins). But I will not let the
nagios-plugins package change files from the nagios-package. So I guess
the 2 projects have to agree on what files and what configuration they
ship to make it work without manual intervention :)

Kind regards,