[Nagiosplug-help] Re: check_ssh

Harper Mann hmann at itgroundwork.com
Mon Aug 9 21:28:07 CEST 2004

Hi Kelvin,

It sounds like you don't have a login that is set up so it doesn't prompt
for a password.  You need to set up pre-shared keys with ssh so the account
logs in without asked for a password.  Here are some procedures and there
are others on google:

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~pkeck/ssh/
http://bumblebee.lcs.mit.edu/ssh2/
http://www.static.net/~armenb/duh/no-password-ssh.html

I use the "nagios" user, since the plug-ins are typically called as user
"nagios" but it also works fine with a different user and the -l switch if
you tell ssh which .ssh and key file to use.

Once you have it set up, be sure to check it by becoming user "nagios" and
then running ssh to the target system.  You should get a shell prompt on the
target system and not a password prompt.

One other possible problem: be sure the .ssh directory has permissions set
to 700.  At least some versions of ssh will silently fail to work, if
permissions aren't correct.

Regards,

- Harper

Harper Mann