[Nagiosplug-help] check_by_ssh shows UNKNOWN

Rahul Misra RahulM at andale.com
Mon Aug 9 23:55:06 CEST 2004

 Hi!

 I have been using check_by_ssh to monitor services like disk space on
remote hosts. I've installed check_disk locally on these hosts and am
running it through check_by_ssh. The hosts are running on Solaris 5.6. The
problem is that for a few of the servers the Nagios web interface shows
state to be UNKNOWN even though the return string is "OK: 67 processes
running." I'm not really sure how this can happen as the two seem
contradictory.

 If I run the check_by_ssh from the command line, the return code comes out
to be 0 (State OK) alongwith the correct status message... I find the return
code by the echoing value in $?... but when Nagios runs it, I get UNKNOWN in
state while the status message indicates OK...

 I just don't get it... why is this happening... why am I getting UNKNOWN
status message in the Nagios interface though the plugin is running fine
from the prompt. Also please note that this is happening only on a few of
the servers, others are working fine.

Can someone please help

 Thanks

 Rahul Misra