[Nagiosplug-help] plugin documentation

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Aug 17 16:11:07 CEST 2004

Arthur Stephens wrote:
> Where can I find documentation on how to use plugins.
> plugin -h or plugin --help does not work.
> I have tried them from the command line - command not found
> I have tried bash and perl - no go.
> Fedora Core 2.0
>
> Arthur Stephens
> Sales Technician
> Ptera Wireless Internet
> astephens at ptera.net
> 509-927-Ptera

That should definitely work, for a vast majority of the plugins.
What command line are you using, can you please post this to the list?
If you are receiving a 'command not found' error this would seem to
indicate that Fedora is not seeing a command entered, not that the
arguments to the command are broken.
Are you actually typing 'plugin -h'? There is no plugin named 'plugin',
at least none that I'm aware of.

For example, if I want to read docs on the 'check_ping' plugin.
>From my plugins directory (usually /usr/local/nagios/libexec/, if
installed with default options), I run the following command:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec: ./check_ping -h
check_ping (nagios-plugins 1.3.1) 1.11
The nagios plugins come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may
redistribute
copies of the plugins under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Ethan Galstad/Karl DeBisschop
<kdebisschop at users.sourceforge.net>

Use ping to check connection statistics for a remote host.

Usage:
       [-p packets] [-t timeout] [-L]

 check_ping (-h | --help) for detailed help
 check_ping (-V | --version) for version information

-H, --hostname=HOST
   host to ping
[snip]
/usr/local/nagios/libexec:

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)