[Nagiosplug-help] check_ifoperstatus process utilization

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 18 03:57:12 CEST 2004

Dominik Romaneschen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> maybe somebody can help me with a strange behavior in conjunction to the
> check_ifoperstatus plug-in of Nagios. We use Nagios 1.1 with Red Hat 9.0 in
> a VMware virtual machine and the first version of the plug-in addon. I
> tried already the new version of the plug-in addon, but due to problems I
> had to restore the older ones.

The check_ifoperstatus script uses the perl-module Net::SNMP. That
module parses all the MIB-files installed on the system each time it is
invoked, which results in system load skyrocketing. A much more
efficient way of doing it would be to call snmpget with the -m: (parse
NO mibs) option, and use OID's instead of MIB-names when fetching the
values. snmpget also properly tells the system that it is dormant while
waiting for responses. I'm not sure how this is handled in Net::SNMP.

> Thanks for every reply,

You're welcome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer