[Nagiosplug-help] nsca_send and xinetd

Earl C. Ruby III earl at switchmanagement.com
Mon Aug 30 10:53:11 CEST 2004

I am using nsca_send to send event messages to a central Nagios server running
xinetd version 2.3.12-27. When I first started doing this it worked great,
but as I've added more and more event handling to my server applications I'm
now seeing event handling lock up more and more often on the Nagios server.
(I currently have about 225 event checks implemented.) Usually restarting
xinetd clears the problem, but I'm guessing I have something misconfigured
and that is messing things up.

There's a setting in nsca.cfg that I think might be relevant:

# APPEND TO FILE OPTION
# This option determines whether or not the nsca daemon will
# will open the external command file for writing or appending.
# This option should almost *always* be set to 0!
# Values: 0 = open file for writing, 1 = open file for appending
append_to_file=0

If multiple xinetd sessions all try to write to the command file at the same
time or if they were writing as the command processor was reading/truncating
the file I'd assume that there would be contention and occasional lock-ups IF
command-file locking was poorly-implemented.

I just changed this setting to "append_to_file=1" to see what happens, but I'm
concerned about the warning that "This option should almost *always* be set
to 0!" Why should this option almost always be set to zero? Is command-file
locking poorly implemented?

--
Earl C. Ruby III
Senior Systems Engineer / Developer