[Nagiosplug-help] check_ping segmentation violation

Ollie Cook ollie at uk.clara.net
Thu Dec 9 05:31:06 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm seeing a problem with the check_ping plugin from release 1.4.0alpha2.

When I need to perform a host-check with the check_ping module, it often fails
with a segmentation violation. This causes the host to appear down even when
it's not.

I am running with FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE.

I've done some debugging and ascertained that the crash comes during the call
to 'return' from main, which suggests some memory corruption to me. I've not
yet been able to track it down further than that.

My nagios.log contains:

[1102594683] HOST ALERT: obfuscated.hostname;DOWN;HARD;10;Segmentation fault
[1102594734] HOST ALERT: obfuscated.hostname;DOWN;HARD;10;Segmentation fault
[1102594734] HOST ALERT: obfuscated.hostname;DOWN;HARD;10;Segmentation fault
[1102594804] HOST ALERT: obfuscated.hostname;DOWN;HARD;10;Segmentation fault
[1102594804] HOST ALERT: obfuscated.hostname;DOWN;HARD;10;Segmentation fault

I've not been able to obtain a core file yet, but will keep trying to debug
this.

Has anyone else seen behaviour like this at all with the latest check_ping?

Cheers,

Ollie
--
Ollie Cook         Systems Architect, Claranet UK
ollie at uk.clara.net               +44 20 7685 8065